Sonic Leak Detector™
Overview of the Sonic Leak Detector™
The Class Instrumentation Sonic Leak Detector is a low cost instrument that allows the rapid detection of pressurised gases escaping from any form of plant system.
The ultrasound “noise” generated by a leak can be easily detected by the hand-held unit and the leak location rapidly and accurately identified through the headphones. The red laser pointer safely and precisely pinpoints the source of the leak while the wide range of frequencies that can be detected by the unit range from 20 KHz to 100 KHz. This greatly increases the likelihood of detection. (Most standard leak detectors only offer detection of ultrasound noise at 40 KHz.)
The Sonic Leak Detector significantly reduces leak detection times and produces substantial cost savings.
Sonic Leak Detector Applications
- Locates leaks in air, steam and non-flammable gas systems including pipes, fitting, valves, cylinders and pressure vessels.
- Locates electrical arcing.
- Pinpoints leaks in brake systems, tubes, tires and radiators.
- Detects leaks in Vacuum systems.
- Finds the source of wear in bearings.
- Detects air conditioning and refrigeration leaks
The Complete Sonic Leak Detector Kit includes
- Sonic Leak Detector unit
- Hard hat compatible headphones
- Full operating instructions
- 2 x 9v PP3 battery
- Foam-lined black polymer carry case
Sonic Leak Detector Technical Specifications
Ultrasound Frequency Range: 20 KHz – 100 KHz
Microphone: Broadband electret
Operating Controls: ON/OFF and headphone volume
Features: Red laser pointer to precisely locate the leak and 3.5mm stereo jack plug (suitable for stereo or mono headphones)
Unit Dimensions: 190 x 90 x 60mm
Unit Weight: 190g
Headphones Weight: 50g
Temperature Range: -10°C to +50°C
Power Supply: 1 x 9v PP3 disposable or rechargeable battery
Battery Life: 40 hours nominal with a PP3 alkaline battery
Carry Case Dimensions: 220 x 200 x 80mm
Operational Weight: 244g
Shipping weight: 600g
1. Check the battery by turning the Sonic Leak Detector on, the red laser should work continuously. If the last flashes this indicates the battery is low and needs changing.
2. Plug in the headphones or earphone.
3. A hiss will come from the headphones and its volume adjusted by the volume control.
4. All the ambient ultrasonic sound will be heard through the headphones.
5. By moving the Leak Detector around you can home in on any particular hissing or crackling sound. The laser will pin-point the leak.
American Bureau of Shipping Classification Society Manufacturing Process Approval
ISO 9001:2015 Certificate Number 14124458
NATO Stock Number 6635-99-474-7886
NCAGE Number U0B22
CE Mark Directives & Laws 89/336/EEC (Electromagnetic Compatibility)
IIMS Corporate Membership Number C508
NFPA Membership Number 2800960
FPA Membership Number 27135