DOOR-SAFE™ Water-Tight Tester
Overview of the DOOR SAFE Water-tight Tester
- The fully ABS Type Approved Door-Safe™ ultrasonic kit is used to rapidly and accurately test the integrity of water-tight doors and hatches.
- The Door-Safe™ WT tester kit consists of 2 units, an ultrasonic transmitter unit and a portable, hand-held receiver unit connected to a flexible inspection microphone and hard-hat compatible headphones. The transmitter and receiver are each supplied in protective leather cases fitted with neck straps to allow for hands-free use.
- The complete Door-Safe™ kit is contained in a blue plastic foam-lined carry case for easy transportation and storage.If ultrasound can pass through the door or hatch seals, then it is also true that water may be able to pass through. The Door-Safe™ transmitter generates ultrasound on one side of the door or hatch and the receiver unit on the other side of the door tries to detect any ultrasound. If none can be detected the door is water-tight. Any ultrasound that has leaked through is shown on the receiver unit in decibels on the digital LCD display and also converted to an audible sound, which can be heard through the headphones. The size of the problem can also be established from the strength of the signal displayed in dB (decibels.) which is the Classification Society DNV requirement.
The Class Instrumentation Ltd Door-Safe™ can be used to determine the integrity and water-tightness of
- water-tight doors in the offshore, marine and aero-space industries
- water-tight hatches
- Navy water-tight & weather-tight doors & citadels
- shipping containers
Please note, this unit is not for use on bulk cargo hatch covers. If you wish to know the integrity of hatch covers, please see our Cargo-Safe unit.
The complete DOOR-SAFE™ kit includes
- Door-Safe™ Transmitter unit in leather case with straps
- Door-Safe™ Receiver unit in leather case with straps
- Flexible inspection microphone and lead
- Extension arm with non-slip grip
- Hard-hat compatible or noise isolating padded headphones
- Tripod for transmitter placement
- Full operating instructions
- Certificate of Calibration and Conformity
- ABS Type Approved Certificate
- 6 High power alkaline AA batteries
- PP3 9V battery
- Foam-lined blue stock-proof polymer water-resistant carry-case
DOOR-SAFE™ Technical Specifications
- Weight: 475g (1lb 1oz)
- 13 emitters giving omni-directional ultrasound emission
- Dual frequency transmission 39.96KHz and 40.04KHz for two tone reception
- High Power Output: 200mW
- Low Power Output: 100mW
- On/Off Control
- Built-in magnets for attaching to steel panelling or tripod
- Power Supply: 6 x AA alkaline batteries
- Battery Life: 25 hours of operation
- Dimensions: 190 x 100 x 60mm (max) (7.5″ x 3.9″ x 2.4″)
- in leather case: 220 x 120 x 80mm (max) (8.7″ x 4.7″ x 3.1″)
- Storm proof leather case to IP66, designed to protect if dropped
- Neck strap for hands-free use
- Weight: 350g (12.3oz)
- Internal 1 Watt loudspeaker - can be used instead of headphones
- Internal microphone – can be used in the event of microphone loss
- Numeric digital display with readings in dB scale & bar-graph
- PEAK HOLD capability to record the maximum reading
- Backlight button with ON/OFF or auto OFF after 30 seconds
- Power Supply: 1 x 9v PP3 rechargeable or alkaline battery
- Battery Life: 40 hours nominal with a PP3 alkaline battery
- Dimensions: 160 x 100 x 30mm (6.3″ x 3.9″ x 1.2″)
- Storm proof leather case – IP66, designed to protect if dropped
- Neck and wrist straps for hands-free use
- Weight: 110g (3.9oz)
- Dimensions: 330 x 10mm diameter (13″ x 0.4″)
- Bright yellow to aid visibility
- 1 m (1 yard) lead
- BNC easy connection for instant replacement
- Extension arm with non-slip grip attachment
Headphones with 3.5mm stereo jack plug, volume control independent of digital display
- Two types option
- Hard hat compatible
- Weight: 50g (1.7oz) or
- Padded noise isolating
- Weight 100g (3.4 oz)
1. Plug in the headphones and inspection microphone to the receiver unit.
2. Turn on the transmitter unit and place on one side of the door or hatch.
3. Obtain an open door value as a reference.
4. Close and seal the door and from the other side, pass the inspection microphone over the door seals to see if any of the ultrasound emitted from the transmitter unit can be detected.
5. To be water-tight the value must be 0 dB, if a value of 1-10% of the open door reference value is detected the seal is accepted as weather-tight, any readings above 10% of the open door value and the door is not weather or water tight.