Class Instrumentation

FaceBook ButtonTwitter ButtonYou Tube Button

T + 44 (0)20 8333 2288

Email:

Knowledge Zone : Frequently Asked Questions : Touchstone 1 Ultrasonic Thickness Gauge
Thread List
Name
Post Count
Last Post
2011-03-03 12:15:48
Just about any liquid as all liquids conduct ultrasound. Gels are generally used because they stay where they are put. There are different types of couplant, water based which can be a problem on steel as unless cleaned off it tends to make the steel go rusty, oil based which is OK on steel but may stain plastics, and silicon based couplant for high temperature use say over 60 degrees C, 140 degrees F.

So in an emergency any liquid will do, a lot of people use spit.
What can I use if I run out of couplant?
admin - 3, Mar 2011 @ 12:15
No replies found.
2011-02-16 16:34:36
One of the short-comings of multi-echo thickness gauges is that to get a reading you need several strong repeat echoes to come back to the probe (or sensor). This is OK when the metal is clean and smooth but if rusty of tarnished on either side it will severally attenuate the returning echoes. This problem results in a blank reading or - - - being displayed. Multi-echo gauges are often called "good news" gauges because they don't display anything when used on corroded and therefore thinning metal.

It is usually better to use a "first back wall echo" gauge like the Touchstone 1*, as this only needs one echo to get an accurate reading and therefore very rarely shows a - - - and so is much more realistic about the state of the metal.
I often can't get a reading with my multi-echo thickness gauge.
admin - 16, Feb 2011 @ 16:34
No replies found.
2011-02-16 16:34:24
Two ways; if the material is known i.e. brass or aluminium, then use our sound velocity table*, if it isn't known then take a know thickness of the same material, measure it's thickness (mike it up, from the word micrometer) and then use the Touchstone 1 to measure the speed (in this instance the words velocity and sound can be and are interchanged) by adjusting the velocity (marked VEL on the Touchstone 1) until the reading displayed is the same as the measured thickness.
How do I know what the velocity of sound is in the material I'm measuring?
admin - 16, Feb 2011 @ 16:34
No replies found.

Logon

Create New Account 
 Forgotten Password? 
Back to Topics

Request A Quote

Product Ordering payment cards
Get A Quote

Free Technical Support

Contact Us Free email and telephone technical support for the lifetime of each product.
Find out more

Free Delivery

Free Delivery We deliver worldwide by secure courier at no extra charge.
Find out more

Sign up to our Newsletter To receive product updates and the latest news sign up to our newsletter.

© Copyright 1996 - 2013 Class Instrumentation Ltd

Connect with us on Facebook

Follow us on twitter

Watch us on You Tube

ABSISO 9001
NFPALogo

ABS Classification Society Manufacturing Process Approved
ISO 9001:2008 Certification Number GB13487
IIMS Corporate Membership Number C508
NCAGE Number U0B22
NFPA Membership Number 2800960
FPA Membership Number 27135